Adoption/Guardianship of Dependent Child
Adopting a child is a joyful event in one's life. As a guardian you become the primary person responsible for the child's needs and progress in life. Obviously you will be considering the child in this process, but you must also consider yourself, other family members, and the family environment. A review of your benefit plans is certainly in order at this time.
- Legally adopted children, foster children and children who live in your home and for whom you or your legal spouse are the legal guardian are covered by the Health & Security Plan in the same way as genetic children. You must complete a new Enrollment Card for the Health Trust and provide a copy of the legal adoption, foster or guardianship papers to the Trust Office. The Plan may also require proof that you provide the child's support. This must be done within 31 days of the arrangement in order to ensure coverage.
- You will want to review your designation of beneficiary for the life insurance under the Health & Security Plan. If you are unmarried, you will also want to review the designation of beneficiary for the Pension Plan.
- Review the rules for coordination of benefits. Coordination of benefits rules govern who will have the primary coverage for your child if both you and your spouse have group health coverage.
- If you think you might be taking Family/Maternity/Paternity Leave you should review the Family and Medical Leave section of the Health & Security SPD and the Leave of Absence sections of the two pension SPDs to see how your benefits may be affected.
Financial planners recommend that whenever there is an addition to your family you should update a number of personal plans and documents. Here is a checklist of some items which you may need to update, revise, or consider:
Health & Security SPD
- Dependent Eligibility and Enrollment
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefits
- Participant's Beneficiary
- Coordination of Benefits (COB)
Individual Account SPD