An involuntary reduction in work always constitutes a serious issue. If the decrease in workload pertains to a disability, you may wish to read the Temporary or Permanent Disability Life Events pages on this website. If, on the other hand, unemployment is due to other factors, such as being laid off, you will need to plan accordingly. You will want to review your benefit plans as soon as possible to note how this reduction in work will affect your Pension and Health status.
- If your Dollar Bank balance is less than the minimum required to maintain coverage, then under most circumstances you may elect to self-pay on a monthly basis to stay covered under the continuing coverage provision for up to 18 months.
- There is also a self-contribution program available for six months of coverage at a lower rate than COBRA, provided you meet the program requirements. The six month period may, at the option of the Trustees, be extended for an additional six months.
- If your reduction in work was due to a disability, please review the Life Events sections on Permanent and Temporary Disability.
- If you think that your reduction in work may cause you to leave the industry entirely, you may want to look at the Life Event page covering that topic for additional considerations.
The first thing to do is apply for Unemployment Insurance. If you delay, you can potentially lose weeks of unemployment insurance benefits.
Be careful about maintaining your psychological and physical health during your period of unemployment. Make sure you get the support of your family and friends.
Don't use your credit cards unless you absolutely have to. Until you are re-employed, you may become unable to make the monthly payments. The added worries of accumulated debt or bad credit will make it harder for you to concentrate on getting another job.
You can contact your creditors such as credit cards companies and banks and let them know your situation. Some of them may arrange with you for reduced payments for some period of time while you are looking for work.
If you have any retirement savings in 401k or IRA accounts, resist the temptation to access them while you are unemployed. There are severe tax penalties which may apply if you withdraw funds from these accounts before you reach the designated age.
Health & Security SPD
- Eligible Participants and Dollar Bank Eligibility
- Self-Contribution Coverage
- COBRA Continuation Coverage
Individual Account SPD
Self Pay Options:
- Self Contribution Notice
- General Notice of COBRA Continuation Coverage Rights
- Self Contribution Forms
- COBRA Forms