Carpenters Health and Security Plan

Reciprocity and Money Follows the Carpenter 

Money follows the carpenter allows you to have hours and contributions transferred to your home trust when you temporarily work in the jurisdiction of a reciprocal trust, provided both trusts are signatory to the International Master Reciprocal Agreement. Under the Master Reciprocal Agreement, if you are a member of a local union, your home trust is the trust in which your local union participates by virtue of its collective bargaining agreements with employers. If you are not a member of a local union or you primarily work within the jurisdiction of a local union other than where you are a member, your home trust is generally the trust that received contributions for the most work you performed in the five prior calendar years. You may also submit a written request to your home trust and the reciprocal trust to change your home trust, but it will be subject to approval of both trusts.

If you work in another jurisdiction, a request to transfer contributions must be filed with your home trust within 60 days from the onset of employment in the jurisdiction of the reciprocal trust. While the home trust and the reciprocal trust may have different rules on retroactive transfers, a retroactive transfer is not allowed for hours and contributions received more than 12 months prior to the onset of employment under the reciprocal plan.

To take advantage of money follows the carpenter, please contact Participant Services at Carpenters Trusts each time you work under a reciprocal plan. Carpenters Trusts will provide you with an Authorization To Transfer Fringe Benefits form. This form must be completed and returned to Carpenters Trusts and the reciprocal plan as soon as possible but no later than 60 days from the onset of employment in the other jurisdiction.

Money follows the carpenter is subject to the provisions of the International Reciprocal Agreement. For more information please contact Carpenters Trusts.

Last Updated: 06/23/2020