Summary Plan Description
Extension of Benefits
If you or a dependent are totally disabled when dollar bank eligibility terminates, you or your dependent can apply for an Extension of Benefits. An Extension of Benefits provides continued coverage but only for treatment of the condition that caused the disability. To qualify, the disabled person must meet the following conditions:
- The disabled person became totally disabled while covered under this plan. Totally disabledmeans:
- In the case of a participant or spouse, the complete inability to work or engage in any occupation for compensation or profit.
- In the case of a child, the complete inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of a medically determinable physical or mental impairment which can be expected to result in death or which has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months; entitled to Social Security benefits on the date eligibility for benefits under this plan would otherwise end because the child attained the limiting age; and covered under this plan immediately prior to attainment of the limiting age.
- The disabled person must remain under the continuous care of the attending physician (MD or DO only). Periodic proof of the disability must be submitted during the Extension of Benefits period.
The disabled person must contact Carpenters Trusts for an Extension of Benefits Application. The completed application must then be received by Carpenters Trusts within 60 days from loss of eligibility.
An Extension of Benefits continues for a maximum of 12 months or earlier if the disabled person is no longer considered totally disabled, plan maximums are exhausted or the disabled person is or becomes covered under any other group plan. There is no monthly contribution or other charge for this extension.
If you or a dependent elect an Extension of Benefits in lieu of COBRA Coverage, you cannot elect COBRA when the Extension of Benefits terminates.
Related Health & Security Content
- 2017 Summary of Material Modifications (1/31/2017)
- 2017 Summary of Material Modifications (1/1/2017)
- 2016 Summary of Material Modifications
- 2014 Summary of Material Modifications
2017 Summary of Benefits and Coverage
Delta Dental of Washington
VSP Vision Care
Quit For Life
See All the Plan Rules and Forms Related to Events in Your Life